Saturday, June 24, 2006

A CYNICAL BLOGGERS'S FIRST POST

A note of forewarning to whoever reads my first Tongue-in-Cheek Blog.

I am not a cynic by nature.

In fact, most folks who know me -- especially well, know that 99% of the time I see the cup half-full and I'm often first inline to try anything new. Adventuresome to a fault. However, I wanted to be upfront about my core response last December when I was asked, advised, then told it'd be wise for me to blog. That's when I wrote, then filed away said-response. I never expected I'd have the nerve to post this, let along in my own blog.

Yet here it is. Gulp. Please be assured, I do not intend to offend any fellow/sister bloggers, especially those ACFW and RWA authors and writers who encouraged me to blog. On the other hand, I suspect I am expressing what many bloggers felt before they actually started to enjoy blogging.

If I could point the finger at anyone for revealing this razor-witted side of me, it would be Ronie Kendig a sister-writer who, after I read this response to her said, "You go blog, girl!" So here you are, Ronie, my first not too enthusasitic blog!

~*~

Decemberish, 2005

"Blah, blah, blah, blah . . .” Ah, yes, the unforgettable cerebral wisdom of grownups according to the adolescent cast of, Peanuts.

Anyone who doesn’t remember the memorable Charles M. Schulz’s creation of the Peanuts comics strip and its syndicated television specials dwells within the deepest black hole of The Twilight Zone. That brilliant voice clip is my literal response to the newest fad of blogging.

Okay, so blogging has been around awhile. Which makes me ask how long does a fad exist before it's no longer a fad? Scratches head, mind begins to wander . . . No, no, don't go there! I have enough A.D.D. issues on my dinner plate. See how easily I get distracted. Focus, Linda! Blogs, sure okay. Where was I?

Oh, yeah . . . For the life of me, this eternal optimist turned cynic with regards to blogs. I mean, even my spell checker won’t recognize the word or any version there of. Oh, wait, maybe because I’ve yet to fork out the extra cash for an upgraded word-processing program. D'oh! That aside, here I am, folks, blogging, which is my euphemism for everything you didn't want to know about this blogger but eventually will, if you read my rambling blog.

Which reminds me of the television emergency announcement we have to repeatedly endure. “This is test of the Emergency Broadcasting System. If this were an actual emergency, you would be advised to blah, blah, blah . . .” And then comes the annoying ear-piercing sound bite. That’s my take on blogs.

Now don’t go ballistic. I know the definition of euphemism.

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines, euphemism: the substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant; also: the expression so substituted, blah, blah. Which for many folks and myself pretty much covers our sentiments about blogging and yet here I am blogging. D'oh!

It took me five dictionary searches to find the new fandangle word in Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary 11th edition. Blog: A frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and Web links.

Let’s face it, everyone and his third-cousin-twice-removed has a blog, including extraterrestrials and my friend’s fuzzy, wuzzy hamster. Oh, pleeez don’t get me started on that last one. I highly suspect that if Charles Schulz still graced our presence Snoopy and the Red Baron would have syndicated blogs.

So why on God’s green earth would this blog cynic write a web log? Simple. I am a writer and secondly, I’m a curious sort with the mindset that one should never harshly judge some thing not experienced firsthand. Or in the words of that overused cliché’, don’t judge a book by it’s cover, is appropriate since I write novels.

So here I stand, um, sit. Taking that leap of faith that someone actually cares what I think or believe. I only hope no one asks me how to setup a blog, because I am going where I've never gone before . . .into the vast unexplored universe of blogging. Help!! I'm blog-illiterate and techinically-challenged.

Take for instance, comprehending the user-friendly guidelines on this blog site. I don't care how friendly the site, I'm left-handed and right-brained which means, I'm winging it on a song and a prayer. By the way I can't sing, but I do pray--A lot!

Arrgggggggggh!!

So, now that I’ve exhausted my precautious thoughts about public journaling, I suppose you expect me to share something significantly profound?

"Er--um," Clears throat, "Blah, blah, blah . . ."

PS: If you actually noted, then counted, all the bold-highlighted blog words, you are a blog addict and a prime candidate to become a wierd but likeable character in one of my non-cynical novels.

May God bless us all, especially, we the cynical but hopeful--romantic bloggers.

1 comment:

Ronie Kendig said...

You have plensky to say, muh dear--and I can't wait to hear it. :-D